TAKUSHOKU
LIFE MOVIE

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

HISTORY

HISTORY

  • 1900

    September

    Takushoku University begins life as the Taiwan Association School, founded by its first chancellor, Katsura Taro. Classes for the first enrollment of 100 students were taught in a temporary school building in Fujimi-cho.

    First chancellor KATSURA Taro

    Served in the Boshin War, joined the army following the Meiji Restoration, and contributed to military system reform under YAMAGATA Aritomo. Served as Governor-General of Taiwan, Minister of War for three Cabinets, and Prime Minister three times. First President of the Taiwan Association. In 1900, he was appointed first chancellor of Taiwan Association School, predecessor of Takushoku University.

  • 1901

    October

    New school building, consisting of a two-story wooden structure with three main lecture halls, completed in Myogadani.

  • 1904

    April

    Designated as a private “special school” under the Special School Ordinance.

  • 1905

    July

    Graduation photograph of the third class of students in July 1905

    Center front is the first chancellor, Katsura Taro.

  • 1907

    January

    Renamed Oriental Association Academy.

  • 1907

    October

    Branch campus opens in Gyeongseong (now Seoul).

  • 1914

    November

    Onshi Commemorative Lecture Theater opens and a statue of Prince Katsura Taro is unveiled.

    Onshi Commemorative Lecture Theater and statue of Katsura Taro

    The Theater and stature of Katsura Taro were completed in 1914.

    The Centenary Onshi Commemorative Hall on the Hachioji International

    Campus was modeled on this theater.

  • 1915

    September

    Renamed the Oriental Association Colonial Academy.

  • 1917

    Second president NITOBE Inazo

    Philosopher and educator. Known for his portrait printed on the former 5,000 yen bill. Dedicated himself to promoting global understanding and world peace as Under-Secretary General of the League of Nations and Chairman of the Institute of Pacific Relations. His proclamation to be a “bridge across the Pacific” gained great fame. His publications include Bushido: The Soul of Japan.

  • 1918

    January

    First newspaper advertisement to appear under the Takushoku name

    This first advertisement to appear in the press after the change of name to Takushoku University was Published on January 21, 1918

  • 1918

    April

    Renamed Takushoku University (under the Special School Ordinance).

  • 1919

    November

    School song officially adopted and performed at the 20th anniversary athletic meet.

  • 1919

    Third chancellor GOTO Shinpei

    Encounter with ITAGAKI Taisuke led GOTO to shift from physician to the Ministry of the Interior. Recognized for his distinguished political skills, he served in such positions as Civil Governor of the Government-General of Taiwan, President of the South Manchuria Railway Company, Ministers of Communications, Interior, and Foreign Affairs, and Mayor of Tokyo. As Director of the Teito Reconstruction Commission, made unstinting efforts for the reconstruction of Tokyo in the immediate aftermath of the Great Kanto Earthquake and restoration of Japan-Soviet Union diplomatic relations.

  • 1922

    June

    Oriental Association University is established under the University Ordinance.

    Main gate of Oriental Association University in 1922

    Oriental Association University was established in 1922 under the University Ordinance, making it the twelfth private university in Japan under the prewar university system. Its traditions and founding philosophy are maintained to this day by Takushoku University.

  • 1926

    December

    Oriental Association (Toyo Kyokai) University is renamed Takushoku University.

  • 1932

    January

    Main building (now Bldg. A on the Bunkyo Campus) completed

  • 1946

    March

    Name changed to Koryo University.

  • 1948

    April

    Establishment of Koryo Senior High School approved.

  • 1949

    February

    Establishment of Koryo University under the new educational system approved (FACULTY OF COMMERCE and FACULTY OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND ECONOMICS).

  • 1950

    March

    Merger of Koryo Senior High School with Seimei Junior and Senior High Schools to create the renamed Seimei Junior High School and Senior High School.

  • 1950

    March

    Establishment of Koryo Junior College approved (Department of Business Administration and Department of Foreign Trade).

  • 1951

    April

    Establishment of Koryo University Graduate School approved (Graduate School of Economics and Graduate School of Commerce).

  • 1952

    March

    Seimei Junior High School ceases new admissions.

  • 1952

    November

    Name restored to Takushoku University, and Koryo Junior College similarly renamed Takushoku Junior College.

  • 1955

    January

    Establishment of Department of Agricultural Economics at Takushoku Junior College.

  • 1960

    January

    Seimei Senior High School renamed Takushoku University Daiichi High School.

  • 1966

    April

    Establishment of Hokkaido Takushoku Junior College (Department of Agricultural Economics).

  • 1968

    March

    Closure of Department of Agricultural Economics at Takushoku Junior College.

  • 1968

    December

    Establishment of Takushoku Childcare Academy affiliated to Hokkaido Takushoku Junior College.

  • 1969

    Hakone Ekiden in 1969.

  • 1972

    April

    Establishment of Intensive Japanese Language Program for Overseas Students at Takushoku University.

  • 1977

    April

    Opening of Hachioji Campus (to which general curriculum courses are relocated) and establishment of Faculty of Foreign Studies at Takushoku University.

  • 1980

    January

    Establishment of Department of Childcare at Hokkaido Takushoku Junior College.

  • 1981

    July

    Closure of Hokkaido Takushoku Junior College’s Takushoku Childcare Academy.

  • 1987

    April

    Establishment of FACULTY OF ENGINEERING at Takushoku University.

  • 1990

    April

    Hokkaido Takushoku Junior College renamed Takushoku University, Hokkaido College.

  • 1991

    April

    Establishment of Takushoku University, Graduate School of Engineering.

  • 1992

    April

    Relocation of Takushoku University, Hokkaido College to Memu district of Fukagawa City, Hokkaido.

  • 1994

    A captain of Takushoku
    University Daiichi High School pledged
    fair play at the 66th National High
    School Baseball Invitational
    Tournament in 1994.

  • 1997

    April

    Establishment of Takushoku University, Graduate School of Language Education.

  • 2000

    April

    Establishment of Faculty of International Development Studies (now the FACULTY OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES).

  • 2000

    October

    Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress attend celebrations to mark Takushoku University’s centenary.

  • 2003

    January

    Establishment of Takushoku University School of Japanese as a Foreign Language.

  • 2004

    March

    Relocation of Takushoku Daiichi Senior High School to Tamagawa Josui (Musashimurayama, Tokyo)

  • 2004

    April

    Establishment of Takushoku University, Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies.

  • 2005

    October

    October Closure of Takushoku Junior College.

  • 2008

    October

    Closure of Takushoku University School of Japanese as a Foreign Language.

  • 2009

    April

    Establishment of Takushoku University, Graduate School of Local Government.

  • 2014

    April

    Establishment of Department of Agricultural Science and Business at Takushoku University Hokkaido College.

  • 2015

    March

    Bunkyo Campus Development Project completed

  • 2015

    April

    FACULTY OF COMMERCE and FACULTY OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND ECONOMICS relocated to Bunkyo Campus, and Hachioji International Campus reorganized to focus on education in the FACULTY OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES, FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, and FACULTY OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES

    The Bunkyo Campus Development Project, completed in 2015